Identity theft can happen to anyone at any time. There are a number of things you can do to prevent identity theft such as:
- Check your credit report annually
- Review your bills and statements on a regular basis
- Dispose of your mail and trash appropriately
- Use caution when giving out personal information
- Copy the contents of your wallet or purse
- Report lost or stolen checks or credit cards immediately
If you believe you're a victim of identity theft follow these steps as soon as you become aware:
Contact the fraud departments of the three major credit bureaus.
For additional information and advice, call the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Identity Theft Hotline toll-free at 877.438.4338.